I am currently in the process of rewriting this part of the documentation. Sorry it is a bit unclear at present.
Silverlight applications can either be in-browser, or out-of-browser. You choose which type of Silverlight application you want to build in the Visual Studio project.
The settings you enter in ANTS Performance Profiler depend on the type of Silverlight application that you are profiling.
If your Silverlight 4 application is a Silverlight out-of-browser application, you are correct:
(1) For the Silverlight application URL
, enter the file path to the XAP file.
(2) Your Silverlight application launches inside sllauncher.exe
(the out-of-browser launcher) automatically. You do not need to run sllauncher.exe
This will not work if your Silverlight application is an in-browser application.
If your Silverlight 4 application is a Silverlight in-browser application, you need the Silverlight plugin in Internet Explorer. To profile the application:
(1) Close all running instances of Internet Explorer.
(2) For the Silverlight application URL
, enter either:
* the file path to the HTML page that embeds the Silverlight application or
* the localhost URL of the HTML or ASPX page that embeds the Silverlight application (eg: http://localhost/test/test.aspx
(3) Internet Explorer starts and loads your Silverlight application automatically.
This will not work if your application is a Silverlight out-of-browser application.
From your post, it sounds like your application has been built as a Silverlight out-of-browser application. If so, to profile it by specifying the address on the server, you need to rebuild it as a Silverlight in-browser application first.
I hope this helps,