We are in process of migrating from TFS2008 to TFS2012 and I'm hoping to be able to copy over the contents of each database's source control folder from the old server to the new server, and retain my change history.
In trying myself, it didn't work. Here were my steps:
1. Open SSMS with EngineOptions config file listing TFS2008
2. Unlink a database and close SSMS
3. In TFS2008, get latest onto my local drive from the server for this DB
4. Create Team project in TFS2012 for this DB and copy in all folders from my local drive up to the new TFS folder for this DB
5. Alter EngineOptions config to use TFS2012, open SSMS
6. Click the database, tell it to link; put in the new TFS server and point to the prepared folder
7. now I get errors - must be empty folder. So I deleted all from the folder, now I can link.
But no history... of course.
I tried to copy the old folder contents now, after linking, but got error (sorry, at this point I was not writing down what I did so I don't have the message).
is there anywhere that you have instructions for migrating from one version of TFS to the next, and preserving history, or do I need to start fresh?