Export to XML shortens some names

Visualizes SQL Server object dependencies.

Export to XML shortens some names

Postby CoderDennis » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:48 pm

When I export to XML, some of the UsedBy objects are appearing without the full name. They show up like this:

Code: Select all

Is there a way to do the export and get the full names of these objects instead of the ".."?

Actually, if the export could strip off the [ServerName].[DatabaseName] portion of all the object names, that would be even better. Since it's the same for all objects in my export, there's no need for that to be listed hundreds of times within the XML.
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:44 pm

Postby Brian Donahue » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:33 pm

Thanks for contacting Red Gate.
I don't think this is a bug - it looks like this happens when SQL Dependency tracker doesn't have enough information to work out who the object owner or schema it belongs to. On a normal, single-database project I did not see this behaviour, but if I added a second database, I start to see it.

For instance, I have to databases:

CrossDatabaseDependencyTest1 has a trigger:
Code: Select all
CREATE TRIGGER [dbo].[trigger]
on [dbo].[table1]
SELECT data from CrossDatabaseDependencyTest2..Table1

The xml will say this about the dependent object:
Brian Donahue
Posts: 6590
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:48 am

Return to SQL Dependency Tracker 2

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests