I have been a long time user of SQL Compare and SQL Data Compare. We have just started using SQL Doc seriously. Although the product works well, the following are some suggested enhancements related to control of the generated documentation.
Our database includes 252 tables, 9 views, 84 functions and 588 stored procedures. Having now invested the time to document all of these objects, when we generate a word document, it is almost 3000 pages. The size of the document makes it difficult to use practically. Additionally, the performance of Word is questionable with large documents.
Having finer control over what is output would allow us to reduce the document down to a manageble size.
1. We have customized the title page by modifying DefaultCoverPage.doc, however, greater flexibility (or at least instructions on what is currently possible) would be appreciated.
2. Each object is currently placed in a different section and each section has its own header. We would prefer one header for the whole document.
3. As a result of each object being in a new section, each object starts on a new page. This results in a lot of empty space and is a large reason why the document is so many pages. A new section for each object class (ie tables, functions, stored procedures, etc) would be sufficient and then just have each object within a section start on the same page.
4. At the begining of each object section, there is a summary of each object which is then followed by the details of each object. The summary is also included in the details and so the information is redundant. The ability to suppress this summary would be helpful.
5. For each table object, there are Properties, Columns, Indexes, Uses and Used By sections. Some of these are of lesser importance. The ability to select what is output would be helpful. There are similar sections for other object types.