Profiling SharePoint - PDB's not being loaded

Code profiling for .NET Developers

Profiling SharePoint - PDB's not being loaded

Postby DaveyM » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:53 pm


I'm trying to profile a SharePoint installation. I've followed the instructions as per the guide found here: ... ePoint.pdf

I have the PDB files and they are placed in the app_bin as per instructions. Unfortunately I don't see the source when I profile. I've additionally placed these PDB files in the both the BIN & GAC to determine if that will resolve the issue... unfortunately no such luck.

Am I missing something?


Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:50 pm

Postby Chris.Allen » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:31 pm

I'm having the same problem - and I work in support :)

See if this tactic works for you; ... 000270.htm

make sure the files have read permission for the account that the app pool is running under (NETWORK SERVICE) by default.
Posts: 579
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:17 pm

Postby Chris.Allen » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:16 pm

We have a solution to the pdb file problem:

1. Register the dll with gacutil (gacutil -i <name.dll>) (remove the existing one from GAC first if necessary)
2. Find the registered dll in GAC and copy manually the pdb file there to the same directory (for example, one of my files ended up here: C:\\WINDOWS\\assembly\\GAC_MSIL\\XlMortgageCalc\\
Then the source files should be visible in performance profiler.

A colleague and I have tried to prove that it works (on Win 2003 x86, at least). Hope this helps!
Posts: 579
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:17 pm

Return to ANTS Performance Profiler Previous Versions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests