benhall wrote:Hi Jim,
Thanks for your comments. This was discussed however at the time we felt removing the SQL Script was the core use-case, going forward we will consider opening this up more.
After spending quite a bit of time editing a generated document, I thought I would add a couple of more options
to my "Wish List" of things for SQL Doc in addition to the items in my first post--All in the effort to save those trees!
- No new section/page for each new object. Just a couple of new lines after the prior object (or some equivalent like one new paragraph with a space after setting, etc).
- Remove the schema name from the "Uses" section. The Uses section is helpful when listing table names and the like, but personally, I can tell that the object uses a particular schema by looking at the object name. That is I can tell that "dbo.tablename" uses the schema dbo simply by looking at the name.
- On Views filter out the "MS_DiagramPane1" Extended Property since it is just used by SSMS when displaying a view graphically. It also tends to be a couple of pages long and, at least for me, is just a bunch of gobbledygook.
- Turn off the square bracket quotes. OK, this one has nothing to do with tree hugging, but personally, I find square brackets "[...]" "noisy". I understand why T-SQL needs them syntactically, but I would like to have the option to remove them from the documentation (especially since I don't tend to create identifiers that need to be quoted).
Finally, I have one last Blue-Sky wish item.
- User Defined groupings. Before we purchased SQL Doc I had a program that generated some documentation from the database. One feature it had was the ability to read a specific Extened Property to know how to group objects together based upon my preference. That is, all tables related to transactions where in a "Transaction" section. All tables related to reporting where in a "Reports" section. I was able to give the section my own name, specify the order I wanted to see the sections in and specify the order I wanted to see the items in inside the sections.
Well, that completes my wish list for now!
Thanks for a great product.