Create release version number problem

Automated deployment for web applications and databases

Moderators: Mike Upton, justin.caldicott, Sean.newham, csmith, chirayu, DavidSimner, david.conlin

Create release version number problem

Postby SteveGTR » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:34 pm

The recent DM release seems to fix a timeout issue I was experiences when it attempts to load the web site version information. Now it comes up really quickly.

Maybe that is why the incorrect version number is being filled in for our project sometimes.

Scenario:

Database packages have version numbers formatted as 0.yyyymmdd.buildnumber

Website package version numbers drive the package version numbering and have the format n.n.n.buildnumber. The latest version number and last release are 2.3.0.178

When create a release where database version 0.20131113.6 and web site version 2.3.0.179 are available, sometimes 0.20131113.6 will be selected as the next version and sometimes 2.3.0.179 will be selected.

It was my understanding that the higher of the two version numbers would be selected, as we have designed the version numbering to be driven by the website version.

It looks like the problem results because sometimes the database versions are loaded before the website versions and sometimes the website versions are loaded prior to the database version. Whatever control is loaded last is used as the default version number for the release.
SteveGTR
 
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:19 pm

Postby james.billings » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:55 pm

Hi Steve- I've just set up a quick test with a DB and Web package, and versions as you describe.

Unfortunately, I'm seeing the same random behaviour with the versioning of the release. I'll log a bug for this and follow up with the team tomorrow on it.
james.billings
 
Posts: 1144
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:10 am
Location: My desk.

Postby SteveGTR » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:52 pm

Thanks James. This is just problematic and can be easily overcome.

Has anyone have any ideas on the other post I made? This isn't easily overcome. Sure, I can manually finish the deployment, but...
SteveGTR
 
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:19 pm

Postby james.billings » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:22 am

Yep, we're looking into the other post you made. It's been seen very intermittently by our internal team here but is occurring within a 3rd party component rather than our own code, making it harder to track down. One possibility is a recent windows update having an effect, although that's not proven as yet.
james.billings
 
Posts: 1144
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:10 am
Location: My desk.

Postby david.conlin » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:05 pm

Hi Steve -

I'm very sorry about this bug, it was my fault.

I'll make sure that we ship a fix when we release next Wednesday.
David Conlin
Software Developer
Deployment Manager
david.conlin
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri May 04, 2012 3:44 pm

Postby david.conlin » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:44 am

Hi Steve -

We shipped a fix for this bug yesterday, as part of version 2.3.8. Sorry it took a bit longer than expected.
David Conlin
Software Developer
Deployment Manager
david.conlin
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri May 04, 2012 3:44 pm

Postby SteveGTR » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:14 pm

Thanks David :)
SteveGTR
 
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:19 pm


Return to Deployment Manager

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest