Corruption of accented characters using Packager 6.6.0347

Packages and compresses schema and contents of SQL Server databases

Moderators: JonathanWatts, Chris Auckland, David Atkinson, david connell, Anu Deshpande, Michelle Taylor, james.billings, Marianne

Corruption of accented characters using Packager 6.6.0347

Postby chris.king@uk.g4s.com » Wed May 01, 2013 10:58 am

Hi Folks,

I have a SQL Script that I am attempting to package that is currently 239, 343 lines in length.

The majority of this is reference data so that data script generated by the packager is about 85% of the total length.

My source script contains both English and French text and this includes accented characters such as é.

When I install from my source script to a SQL 2012 instance, the accented characters are preserved but when I package the script into an .exe using Packager the resulting installation has replaced the accented characters with question marks.

Has this behaviour been observed before? Is there anything I can do to prevent this?

TIA,

Chris King
chris.king@uk.g4s.com

Postby Chris.Allen » Thu May 02, 2013 2:03 pm

This is usually a function of the underlying text encoding (for example ANSI vs Unicode (UTF xx).

*My* way of solving this is, using a free text editor such as Notepad ++, check the encoding of the original text files- test if it works better when they are all UTF or all ANSI.

I hope that helps.
Chris.Allen

Return to SQL Packager 6