Deploy to a specific machine?

Automated deployment for web applications and databases

Moderators: Mike Upton, justin.caldicott, Sean.newham, csmith, chirayu, DavidSimner, david.conlin

Deploy to a specific machine?

Postby swinghouse » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:05 am

Under Projects -> Releases in the web interface I can choose which environment I want to deploy to, but what if there are several machines in one environment and I'd like to deploy a release to a specific machine?

Is that possible?
swinghouse

Postby DanFurze » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:47 pm

This would be very handy for us as well. Typically when a release is large we'll want to take a server out of load, release and test it then flip servers over and release to the rest.

We could trick it by having a server in a separate environment however the config transforms match up to environment names.
DanFurze

Postby DanFurze » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:15 pm

I posted this up on the uservoice site

http://redgate.uservoice.com/forums/176 ... nder-an-en
DanFurze

Postby swinghouse » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:22 pm

Dan,

Good initiative! Your suggestion just got a vote from me.

/Mattias
swinghouse

Postby david.conlin » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:11 pm

Currently this isn't possible I'm afraid.

You might be able to get the functionality you want by pulling out your single test server out into a "canary" environment, and deploying to that environment first, then deploying to a "production" environment which contains the other server.

I know that this would require you to make a "canary" config transform which is a copy of the "release" transform, but this should only be as much work as creating a separate config transform for each separate machine.
David Conlin
Software Developer
Deployment Manager
david.conlin

Return to Deployment Manager