Comparing specific objects from multiple databases

Compares and synchronizes SQL Server databases, backups and scripts.

Moderators: JonathanWatts, Chris Auckland, David Atkinson, eddie davis, Anu Deshpande, Michelle Taylor, alice.easey, james.billings, chengvoon.tong

Comparing specific objects from multiple databases

Postby Xaphan » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:43 pm

My company is setting up continuous integration (using Cruise Control .NET) to deploy SQL Reporting Services reports automatically on a test server. Some of our reporting projects use only certain stored procedures and some may be in different databases. For example a report may use stored procedure A and B in Database X and Stored procedure C in database Y.

In my continuous integration app I want to call SQLCompare.exe and tell it to only compare a list of object in each database. Is there a way of doing this? If so, please provide an example if possible.
Xaphan

Postby Manfred.Castro » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:12 pm

Unfortunately there is currently no way of comparing multiple databases in a single call of sqlcompare.exe. You can however specify the object type using the "/include" option when calling sqlcompare.exe through command line. If you are unfamiliar with the include option you can familiarize yourself by calling "sqlcompare /?" from the command line.

More information available at this link.
http://www.red-gate.com/supportcenter/Content/SQL_Compare/help/10.0/SC_CL_Getting_Started
Manfred Castro
Product Support
Red Gate Software
Manfred.Castro

Postby David Atkinson » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:50 pm

Another approach is to create a filter in SQL Compare and to reference it in the command line using /filter
David Atkinson

Return to SQL Compare 10