Detecting why unused memory allocated to .net happens

Memory profiling for .NET developers

Moderators: Luke Jefferson, StephenC, AndrewH, melvyn.harbour, james.billings, Laura Morley, dene.boulton

Detecting why unused memory allocated to .net happens

Postby thomasabcd » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:09 am

Hi,

is it possible to detect why the unused memory allocated to .net happens? I have a lot of unused memory allocated to .net. And I guess that is why my app crashes from time to time because it runs out of memory.

Thanks
Thomas
thomasabcd

Postby Brian Donahue » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:03 pm

Hi,

I can't say for sure, but if you are the same person who emailed sales, emailed marketing and put the question on Stack Overflow, you may notice in your screenshot that the summary states that you have signs of large object heap fragmentation. Clicking the question-mark in the gray strip just above that will take you to an article on our website that explains the issue and what you can do about it.
Brian Donahue

Postby thomasabcd » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:41 pm

Hi,

yes, I am the same person who wrote emailed sales and marketing and put the question on Stack Overflow. I am really sorry if you felt spammed, but as you probably know, it is very frustrating to keep starring at your code without being able to solve the problem.

Anyway, I really think ANTS Memory profiler is a very good and user-friendly tool. Unfortunately it did not help in my case since the problem turned out to be a 32-bit dll which was not compatible with the IIS which was set to 64-bit. Changing the IIS to 32-bit solved the memory leak. I don't know if it is possible in any way, but an improvement to the memory profiler could be if it could look at the configuration of the IIS and compare it to the dlls to determine whether there are incompatible dlls.

best regards
Thomas
thomasabcd

Same Problem

Postby brian.fenech » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:41 am

I am experiencing the same problem, what was the DLL that was generating the memory leak ?
brian.fenech

Postby brian.fenech » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:59 am

What was the problem ? Because I am experiencing a similar problem.
brian.fenech

Return to ANTS Memory Profiler 7