Apply generator settings to a set of columns at once

The simplest way to populate your database with test data.

Moderators: JonathanWatts, David Atkinson, Anu Deshpande, Michelle Taylor, Lionel, Emma A, sherr

Apply generator settings to a set of columns at once

Postby rcd.guerra » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:07 pm

Hi there,

we are evaluating SqlDataGenerator.

In this project we have a somewhat big datamodel (~200 tables) and some columns have the same generator settings.

Is there a chance to define the same settings for a particular column and apply them at once for all tables without having to manually do this ?

For instance, all tables have a 'STATUS' column with values ranging from A, I and D. I want to specify this at the generator settings level, but dont want to do it in all tables.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Ricardo
rcd.guerra

Postby james.billings » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:05 pm

Hi, thanks for posting!
There's no way to copy generator settings across tables that I'm aware of. What generator does it currently auto-select for the column in question? One solution would be to create your own generator using one of the XML files in c:\\Program Files (x86)\\Red Gate\\SQL Data Generator 2\\Config as a starting point. You'll see some of them (for instance 'extensions.xml') have a "matches" setting; this helps hint Data Generator into selecting that generator for any given column name. So by setting one for "Status" at 100%, and making it generate the type of data you want, you may be able to achieve the effect you're after.
james.billings

Return to SQL Data Generator 2