How to use RedGate.MemoryProfiler.Snapshot.TakeSnapshot?

Memory profiling for .NET developers

Moderators: StephenC, AndrewH, melvyn.harbour

How to use RedGate.MemoryProfiler.Snapshot.TakeSnapshot?

Postby haggard » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:32 pm

I downloaded and installed the early adopter 7 code, registered the two DLLs as was stated in the instructions (my development system is Windows 7 on an x64 Dell), made a very simple x86 .NET application and called RedGate.MemoryProfiler.Snapshot.TakeSnapshot(<filename>) but the function returns a false with no exceptions or other error indications that I can see. Is there an example of how to use the snapshot code?
===========
Richard Lewis Haggard
haggard

Postby StephenC » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:59 pm

Hi,

It should only return false if the application is not running in the memory profiler. We have only implemented the API so there could be a few other issues that we are currently unaware of.

Regards,

Stephen
StephenC

How to programmatically get memory dump snapshot.

Postby haggard » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:01 pm

Doh! I'd just assumed that the profiler would automatically run. You have to START Red-Gate memory profiler 7 application manually, have it lauch the application being profiled and then everything appears to work in the desired fashion. To quote an SNL comedienne who has now sadly passed away, "Never mind."
haggard

Postby StephenC » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:08 pm

I'm just glad it was easy to resolve.

:wink:
StephenC

Postby dom.smith » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:01 am

In case anyone else is having problems when using the TakeSnapshot() method, I have put a PDF containing the draft help for this feature at http://downloads.red-gate.com/HelpPDF/ANTS_Memory_Profiler/AMP7EAP_TakeSnapshot.pdf
Dominic Smith,
Project Manager,
Red Gate Software.
dom.smith

Return to ANTS Memory Profiler 7 EAP