Database error, cant run SA

.NET obfuscator and automated error reporting

Moderators: Luke Jefferson, Alex.Davies, melvyn.harbour

Postby Uniwares_AS » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:17 pm

Yes, it actually seems to start processing the input file, had an error in another one and it reported a missing reference before any database error.

Right now I am at the point of giving up on using the MSBuild task and rewriting all my builds. Cleaned the build machine from all remains of redgate and smartassembly - assemblies and registry entries - reinstalled SA 5.5 from scratch and get the same error. I deleted the database, reset file and folder security, cleaned the GAC, but all of that with no better results.

I even reinstalled SA 5.0 just to see the same result. Which now points to something pretty off the reach of SA, probably something in the build pipeline, interfering with SA and its access to the database. What that could be, I have not the slightest idea.

Keep you posted.
Uniwares_AS

Solved

Postby Uniwares_AS » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:50 pm

You wont believe it but the culprit is a VS2010 extension which has nothing to do with the build process.

VSCommands2010 http://vscommands.com
Among some really useful things, it \"enhances\" the output window with color coding. Seems that during that process it messes with the build tasks in general.

Uninstalled, SA works fine. Reinstalled, SA breaks.
Uniwares_AS

Postby Alex.Davies » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:52 pm

Thanks for the information, we'll be asking people about that if anyone else has similar inexplicable problems with MSBuild.
Alex
Developer,
Red Gate .NET Tools
Alex.Davies

Postby Uniwares_AS » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:00 am

After digging deeper into it, the main problem seems to be that in the failure case, the build system used is mixed up.
See:

Code: Select all
Output file \"obj\\Release\\MyProject.pdb\" does not exist.
Using \"Csc\" task from assembly \"Microsoft.Build.Tasks.v4.0, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a\".
Task \"Csc\" (TaskId:16)
  C:\\WINDOWS\\Microsoft.NET\\Framework\\v4.0.30319\\Csc.exe .... (TaskId:16)
Done executing task \"Csc\". (TaskId:16)

against:

Code: Select all
Output file \"obj\\Release\\MyProject.pdb\" does not exist.
Task \"Csc\" (TaskId:16)
  C:\\WINDOWS\\Microsoft.NET\\Framework\\v4.0.30319\\Csc.exe .... (TaskId:16)
Done executing task \"Csc\". (TaskId:16)

Other differences are:
* some build symbols defined differently (might be a result of the build system versions)
* startup folders different (VS2010 IDE installation against solution base)

I guess that this kind of problem might occur in other situations with other extensions I guess, so it might be interesting to investigate this deeper.
Uniwares_AS

Previous

Return to SmartAssembly 5