Crash after trying to reconnect to a (moved) TFS repository

Early Access Program for SQL Source Control

Moderators: Chris Auckland, David Atkinson, sherr

Crash after trying to reconnect to a (moved) TFS repository

Postby wesleysmith » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:04 am

I had SQL Source control version 0.3.1.3 working just fine. Then, I decided I needed to move the location of the SQL directory in the TFS (2005) repository. I disconnected SQL Source Control, then used the regular TFS manager to move the files to another location within my repository. I committed that move, then started SQL Source Control back up, and clicked "Link to a database already in source control". After I point the program to the correct (new) location for my source, I get a crash dialog box (which I did submit), and then a dialog box saying "Project file does not exist".

Attempting to get more information, I turned on some TFS network tracing, and I can see that SQL Source Control correctly creates a TFS workspace with the correct (new) directory, then pulls the change history for the RedGate.ssc file, which works successfully. That RedGate.ssc file has two revisions - the initial checkin that SQL Source Control made, and my move to a different location. The next thing that SQL Source Control does is attempt to pull all the files into the workspace. But when it does that, it doesn't pull the latest version - instead it pulls the old version (based on the original changeset of the RedGate.ssc file?). But the files were not in the specified directory at the time of that changeset, and therefore no files are downloaded. I presume the crash comes soon after that.

So, can you fix this issue, and how can I get my database reconnected?

Thanks,

Wesley
wesleysmith
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:23 am

Crash after trying to reconnect to a (moved) TFS repository

Postby sherr » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:45 pm

Hi Wesley,

This move sounds like it might be similar to branching, which we currently don't support... We'll look into a workaround or a fix. Our internal reference number for this issue is SOC-922.

Thank you for submitting the issue from SQL Source Control and following up with this forum posting. The details you provided have been very helpful.

Thanks again!
Stephanie Herr
sherr
 
Posts: 126
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:45 pm
Location: Cambridge

Work around

Postby simon.jackson » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:06 pm

Hi,

I've just had a quick look at the work around for this.

You should be able to get back up and running again if you:

- Unlink the database from source control
- Make sure the DB is in same state as source control (sounds like this should be true already)

Then in source control explorer:
- Delete RedGate.ssc
- Check in
- ReCreate RedGate.ssc (don't undo the delete)
- Check in

Now link to source control. if you go to the tabs you should see a long spinny and be good to go.


Let me know if that works for you.

We're still looking at fixing the underlying bug so this faff isn't required, but we'd really like you to keep trying the product.
simon.jackson
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:42 am

Postby wesleysmith » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:00 pm

Simon,

Your workaround appears to have worked perfectly, and all is working again.

Thank you,

Wesley
wesleysmith
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:23 am


Return to SQL Source Control EAP

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests