SQL Compare hangs at "Reading object text"

Compares and synchronizes SQL Server databases, backups and scripts.

Moderators: JonathanWatts, Chris Auckland, David Atkinson, eddie davis, Anu Deshpande, Michelle Taylor, alice.easey, james.billings, chengvoon.tong

SQL Compare hangs at "Reading object text"

Postby msurasky » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:48 pm

Hi all,

I am trying to generate a Snapshot of a database located in a remote location. I am runing SQL Compare 10.3.

I have verified that SQL Compare has no trouble in seeing that server (and the database). The tool can successfully retrieve the list of the databases on the SQL Server Instance when connecting to it.

Having said that, either when trying to run a comparison project (or when generating a snapshot) the tool is stuck at a step called "Reading object text" (which in the case of the snapshot is around 29% for my database).

I let it run for an hour and it has not been progressed by a single percentage so at this point I believe the process is stuck. I have tried twice and in both cases it got stuck at the precise same location.

I have a print-screen of the exact state where the tool get stuck but I believe there is no way to add attachments to post here.

I believe this is a bug that for some reason only occur under this circumstance but even when the behavior (the error) is consistently happening, I can't figure out why it happens or what should I do to fix it.

If anybody in the forum supports that tool (or has seen the error before) please let me know what you think I should be doing in order to troubleshoot.

I can provide logs or any details you need about my environment.

Regards,
msurasky
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:10 pm
Location: Canada

Postby eddie davis » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:27 am

Thank you for your forum post.

A support call has been created for you HERE.

Please update the call with a copy of the SQL Compare log file from when the problem occurred and screen shot of the stuck step.

Or reply to the automated email sent by our call logging system with the requested log file and screen shot attached.

Are there any event viewer entries that would indicate a network or connection time out at the time the reported problem occurs?

Many Thanks
Eddie
Eddie Davis
Technical Support Engineer
Red Gate Software Ltd
E-mail: support@red-gate.com
eddie davis
 
Posts: 943
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:47 pm
Location: Red Gate Software

Postby msurasky » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:39 pm

Update:

I left the snapshot generation to run a few more hours and apparently after all these time it finally finished.

I'm not sure how many hours it took in the end or whether it really got stuck at some point in time or it was just SUPER slow.

Having said that, you replied asking me to provide the log. I have no problem in doing so but I have no idea where it is located.

If you point me to the Log file I will update the call with a copy of it. Unfortunately I can't attach also the screen shot because, as I said, the process completed after a few more hours.

Regards,
msurasky
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:10 pm
Location: Canada

Postby fllouw » Mon May 26, 2014 9:32 pm

I can confirm the same behavior. When registering the SQL database, SQL Compare 10.7 gets stuck at "Reading object text" on a large and complex database. Running sp_who2 against the database shows that the SPID is "SUSPENDED".

Checking the logs, I see:
Populate ObjectText start.
Remembered which version of System.Data.SQLite is in use: System.Data.SQLite, Version=1.0.85.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=db937bc2d44ff139

Then, nothing.

Interesting: this database is about 250GB. A database with a similar schema but not data on the same server registers just fine.

Update: I ran a Trace and I see that SQL Compare is executing DBCC PAGE commands while the interface is unresponsive.

Thanks,
Francois
fllouw
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon May 26, 2014 8:22 pm

Postby fllouw » Mon May 26, 2014 9:59 pm

An update: I found the reason for the performance difference. The large database had a single encrypted object (a 5-line stored procedure), and the option to decrypt encrypted objects was checked (it is checked by default). Unchecking the option to decrypt encrypted objects solved the performance issue.

Thanks,
Francois
fllouw
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon May 26, 2014 8:22 pm

Re:

Postby msurasky » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:26 pm

fllouw wrote:An update: I found the reason for the performance difference. The large database had a single encrypted object (a 5-line stored procedure), and the option to decrypt encrypted objects was checked (it is checked by default). Unchecking the option to decrypt encrypted objects solved the performance issue.

Thanks,
Francois


Thanks fllouw, that also fix the performance problem in my case as well. Now the only question that remains is why option to decrypt encrypted objects causes so much overhead, but that is a question I will leave for another day.

Cheers!
msurasky
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:10 pm
Location: Canada


Return to SQL Compare 10

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests