Can i use a where clause using command line?

Compares and synchronizes SQL database content.

Moderators: JonathanWatts, Chris Auckland, David Atkinson, Michelle Taylor, chengvoon.tong

Can i use a where clause using command line?

Postby dbdmora » Wed May 21, 2014 8:31 pm

I want to automate a data compare of two tables but I need to put in a where clause, I could not find an option in the documentation where I can add a where clause when comparing a table via command line. Is this possible?

Ideally, I would like to update a text file with what my where clause variables would be and sqldatacompare would read it when I run it via command line.
dbdmora

Postby Evan Moss » Wed May 21, 2014 11:37 pm

Hello,

Thanks for your post.

Unfortunately it's not possible to use a where clause with a command line switch directly, but you can save a project file in the UI with a where clause defined and use the /project switch to reference it.

I'll also log this in our existing feature request (reference SDC-718).

Thanks,
Evan
Evan Moss
Product Support
(866) 627-8107
Evan Moss

Postby dsheerin » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:01 pm

This functionality would also be very useful for me and my organization. We have multiple geographically disbursed databases that contain a subset of data that is replicated to a central database. I need to automate the comparison of the these databases with the central database. The data is stored in tables with a geographic source indicator. I need to filter for this in the command line. This value will need to be changed as I go through the process of comparing the distributed databases one at a time to the central database. I do not think it is possible to alter a project file on the fly prior to running a comparison. There are 100 distributed databases with nearly 400 tables. There are way too many potential options to create a separate project file for each potential circumstance. Thanks.
dsheerin

Postby David Atkinson » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:05 pm

One idea would be to modify the contents of the project file on the fly as it's just xml. However, as this isn't a supported way of doing it, it's something you'd have to experiment with yourself.
David Atkinson

Return to SQL Data Compare 10