restore database status still in progress after failure

Compresses, encrypts, secures and monitors SQL Server backups.

Moderators: JonathanWatts, Chris Auckland, eddie davis, Colin Millerchip, Brian Harris, james.billings, RBA, petey, JonathanWatts, Chris Auckland, eddie davis, Colin Millerchip, Brian Harris, james.billings, RBA, petey

restore database status still in progress after failure

Postby normpang » Thu May 08, 2014 9:38 am

after a failed restore, I can see status of the restore of the database to be still active in the "In Progress" tab.

How do I remove this status?

I'm using SQL Backup 7.6.0.26 on a 2008 R2 database.
[/img]
normpang

Postby eddie davis » Fri May 09, 2014 3:56 pm

Thank you for your forum post.

I suspect it is nothing to worry about, as the GUI ->In Progress Tab is slow to update and clear when a job completes. Also it is not an accurate way of checking if a task is still running.

If you close the GUI and re-open after a couple of seconds, is the Failed restore still displayed in the In-Progress tab?

Many Thanks
Eddie
Eddie Davis
Technical Support Engineer
Red Gate Software Ltd
E-mail: support@red-gate.com
eddie davis

Postby normpang » Tue May 13, 2014 12:53 pm

thanks Eddie but the status is 0 B processed, with an action of Restore. The green circle is spinning.

I've restarted the GUI a few times.

Is there a way of removikng this status?
normpang

Postby eddie davis » Wed May 14, 2014 12:29 pm

Thank you for your reply.

Can you please run the following query on the restoring server to ensure that a restore task is actually running:

Code: Select all
USE master
GO
EXECUTE Master..sqbstatus 1
GO

If no backup or restore task is running, zero results are returned. The entry in the GUI is false. Normally closing and reopening the GUI resolves the problem.

If a set of results are returned, this indicates that there is a restore process running. The results will include database name, login used, process - B = backup and R = restore, type, compression, encryption. The columns of interest are Processed (bytes), Compressed (bytes) and start_date.

If you repeat the query 2 or 3 times does the processed (bytes) value increase?

If the restore process is running, please run the following two queries and save a copy of the results.

USE master
GO
EXECUTE master..sqbutility 9997
GO

This function will provide a debugging trace of the current execution process in the SQL Backup engine.

Executing sqbutility 9997 will return a NULL value and generate a file in the named directory for the corresponding SQL Backup Agent (eg by default, C:\\Program files\\Red Gate\\SQL Backup\\%instance%, called "SQBCoreService_bugreport.txt"

USE master
GO
EXECUTE sp_who2
GO

Executing sp_who2 will return a list of the current processes in the SQL Server engine. Please save a copy of the results.

A support call has been created for you and is available using this LINK. If you have not already done so, you will need to create a redgate ID to view and update the support call. Please update the call with sp_who2 results and the SQBCoreService_<instance name>_bugreport.txt file.

Many Thanks
Eddie
Eddie Davis
Technical Support Engineer
Red Gate Software Ltd
E-mail: support@red-gate.com
eddie davis

Return to SQL Backup 7