Different results between application and command line

Compares and synchronizes SQL Server databases, backups and scripts.

Moderators: JonathanWatts, Chris Auckland, David Atkinson, eddie davis, Anu Deshpande, Michelle Taylor, alice.easey, james.billings, chengvoon.tong

Different results between application and command line

Postby PaulGoldstraw » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:33 am

Hi,

I am currently trialling SQL Compare using the command line, and seem to be getting some slightly odd results. I have tried to include an image of what I get in the application itself, which shows there to be no difference detected in any of the rows shown.

When I make the same comparison on the command line, I get the following report output:

Code: Select all
<line type="same">
      <left>[rowguid] [uniqueidentifier] NOT NULL ROWGUIDCOL CONSTRAINT [DF_Address_rowguid] DEFAULT (newid()),</left>
      <right>[rowguid] [uniqueidentifier] NOT NULL ROWGUIDCOL CONSTRAINT [DF_Address_rowguid] DEFAULT (newid()),</right>
</line>
<line type="same">
      <left>[ModifiedDate] [datetime] NOT NULL CONSTRAINT [DF_Address_ModifiedDate] DEFAULT (getdate())</left>
      <right>[ModifiedDate] [datetime] NOT NULL CONSTRAINT [DF_Address_ModifiedDate] DEFAULT (getdate())</right>
</line>
<line type="same">
      <left>)</left>
      <right>)</right>
</line>
<line type="same">
      <left>GO</left>
      <right>GO</right>
</line>
<line type="different">
      <left>-- Constraints and Indexes</left>
      <right>-- Constraints and Indexes</right>
</line>
<line type="same">
      <left />
      <right />
</line>
<line type="same">
      <left>ALTER TABLE [Person].[Address] ADD CONSTRAINT [PK_Address_AddressID] PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED  ([AddressID])</left>
      <right>ALTER TABLE [Person].[Address] ADD CONSTRAINT [PK_Address_AddressID] PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED  ([AddressID])</right>
</line>
<line type="same">
      <left>GO</left>
      <right>GO</right>
</line>

Note the difference detected for the commented line, but the data clearly supports the application's result set; there is no difference. Is this a bug in the command line interface? Is there a setting I need to use to avoid this? I've just got the default settings for both the application and the command line equivalent, with the command line outputting a report to an XML file, but perhaps something is on or off by default that I need to change?
PaulGoldstraw

Postby Anu Deshpande » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:51 pm

Thanks for your post.

I have logged a support ticket for you and will email you shortly.
Anuradha Deshpande
Product Support
Redgate Software Ltd.
E-mail: support@red-gate.com
Anu Deshpande

Return to SQL Compare 10