"Object reference not set to an instance of an object" Error

Packages and compresses schema and contents of SQL Server databases

Moderators: JonathanWatts, Chris Auckland, David Atkinson, david connell, Anu Deshpande, Michelle Taylor, james.billings, Marianne

"Object reference not set to an instance of an object" Error

Postby JackLocke » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:59 pm

Hi All,
I just ran into some really strange error today while trying to prepare update with SQL Packager 6.4

I have two databases and I want to create database update based on difference between them. But, when I run SQL Packager via CLI, I get following error after a step where databases get compared.

Registering databases
Mapping
Comparing databases
Error: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

But if I use UI and do same thing, it finishes without any issue and it generates update exe.

Any suggestions ?

TIA,
Jack
JackLocke

Postby Brian Donahue » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:16 pm

I'd say based on this and your later email, the most likely issue is a lack of permissions to all of the object in the database schema.
Brian Donahue

Re:

Postby JackLocke » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:45 pm

Brian Donahue wrote:I'd say based on this and your later email, the most likely issue is a lack of permissions to all of the object in the database schema.

I am running this script as SA. So I am sure it has permissions for all objects.

Following is the command that I am using,

Code: Select all
"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Red Gate\\SQL Packager 6\\SQLPackager.exe" /db1:"NEW_DB" /u1:"sa" /p1:"password" /s1:"(local)\\SQLEXPRESS" /db2:"OLD_DB" /u2:"sa" /p2:"password" /s2:"(local)\\SQLEXPRESS" /location:"C:\\test" /name:testEXE /makeexe /includedata:table:\\[Version\\] /verbose

TIA
JackLocke

Return to SQL Packager 6