Setting for transaction isolation level not used in script

Compares and synchronizes SQL Server databases, backups and scripts.

Moderators: JonathanWatts, Chris Auckland, David Atkinson, eddie davis, Anu Deshpande, Michelle Taylor, alice.easey, james.billings, chengvoon.tong

Setting for transaction isolation level not used in script

Postby JosvanDuijn » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:00 am

Hi,

When i set the transaction isolation level to READ COMMITTED under Tools, Application Options, and create a new compare project, the setting is not used in the generated scripts. Instead the transaction isolation level is set to SERIALIZABLE.

I really want this option to work, because we use a lot of replicated objects, and now (if I forget to change the script) we get errors during the deploy.

Anyone any bright ideas?

Thanks,
Jos
JosvanDuijn

Postby Brian Donahue » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:44 am

Can you please clarify... are you running the project through the command-line version? Because the transaction isolation level is a global option, it does not appear in the project and this trips people up all the time.

You have to specify the transaction isolation level on the command-line using the command-line, for example /til:"READ COMMITTED"

Please let us know if this works.
Brian Donahue

Postby JosvanDuijn » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:15 pm

I'm using the GUI only.
I set the option under Tools, Application options to 'READ COMMITTED' and then create a new project, compare to databases, generate a script and the script then starts by setting the transaction isolation level to SERIALIZABLE.

BTW, I'm using SQL Compare Pro version 10.4.8.87.

Example output:
Code: Select all
/*
Run this script on:

server1\\instance1.database1    -  This database will be modified

to synchronize it with:

server2\\instance2.database1

You are recommended to back up your database before running this script

Script created by SQL Compare version 10.4.8 from Red Gate Software Ltd at 9/5/2013 8:34:01 AM

*/
SET NUMERIC_ROUNDABORT OFF
GO
SET ANSI_PADDING, ANSI_WARNINGS, CONCAT_NULL_YIELDS_NULL, ARITHABORT, QUOTED_IDENTIFIER, ANSI_NULLS ON
GO
IF EXISTS (SELECT * FROM tempdb..sysobjects WHERE id=OBJECT_ID('tempdb..#tmpErrors')) DROP TABLE #tmpErrors
GO
CREATE TABLE #tmpErrors (Error int)
GO
SET XACT_ABORT ON
GO
SET TRANSACTION ISOLATION LEVEL SERIALIZABLE
GO
JosvanDuijn

Postby Brian Donahue » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:49 am

It's supposed to put this information in the registry. Maybe you don't have permissions to the key?
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Red Gate\\SQL Compare 10\\UI

(Value name is TransactionIsolationLevel: it's a string and the value should be what you set in the options.)
Brian Donahue

Postby JosvanDuijn » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:59 am

Found the key in my registry: TransactionIsolationLevel and it is set to 'READ COMMITTED'. So that seems fine.
JosvanDuijn

Postby Brian Donahue » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:45 am

The most likely explanation is that SQL Compare ignores the transaction isolation level (on purpose) when you are comparing a data source that is linked to SQL Source Control. For databases that are not linked to source control, it should respect what is in the registry.
Brian Donahue

Return to SQL Compare 10