Data Generation hangs

The simplest way to populate your database with test data.

Moderators: JonathanWatts, David Atkinson, Anu Deshpande, Michelle Taylor, Lionel, Emma A, sherr

Data Generation hangs

Postby facklec » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:19 pm

I'm trying to create a large database (50 gigs) for testing purposes. I can't seem to get one particular table to load. It will hang at 0%, 10% and now 100%. I think it depends on how many records I'm trying to generate. At 1.5 million it hangs at 0%. I let it run for 12 hours and it didn't seem to do anything. At 1000 rows it's hanging at 100%. At 100 it succeeds. There is a unique non-clustered index that I thought would help to drop but it's being used by other tables for foreign key constraints so I can not drop it. I've successfully generated a 5 gig database but I'm stuck trying to generate this larger one. BTW, "Cancelling" never works.
facklec

Postby Brian Donahue » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:35 am

Hi,

I think we may have to get back you by email on this one. Obviously data generation times depend on the types of generators and the database schema (maybe triggers are running during the update). Having the cancel button not responding is a bit worrying though.
Brian Donahue

Return to SQL Data Generator 2