Profiling a different machine

Memory profiling for .NET developers

Moderators: Luke Jefferson, StephenC, AndrewH, melvyn.harbour, james.billings, Laura Morley, dene.boulton

Profiling a different machine

Postby AdamsGuitar » Thu May 16, 2013 6:01 pm

We have a customer who has an odd issue where our application is using up a huge amount of memory on the machine. We've so far been unable to reproduce the issue in our testing environment, so I'd like to use the Memory Profiler to examine snapshots. Unfortunately, we don't have permission to install new software on their computer, but I can copy files and run any executables.

Is there any way to either...

a) Deploy the memory profiler using XCopy (i.e. no Windows installer involved)
b) Capture a snapshot using a different utility, then perform analysis on the file back on my properly licensed machine?
AdamsGuitar

Postby jessica.ramos » Fri May 17, 2013 10:10 pm

I'm sorry to say that the Memory Profiler will need to be installed and running on the customer's machine. :/
Jessica Ramos
Technical Support
Red Gate Software Ltd.
jessica.ramos

Postby AdamsGuitar » Mon May 20, 2013 3:48 pm

I understand. Please consider implementing something like this; I know that other memory profiler products provide simple utilities that can run on client machines to capture memory snapshots that can then be copied to a machine running the full version to perform the analysis. As it is now, I may have to use another profiler to solve this problem, which doesn't make me terribly happy.
AdamsGuitar

Postby jessica.ramos » Tue May 21, 2013 4:58 pm

Ah, so sorry about this inconvenience. Remote profiling is on our feature request list though and I've also shared your reply with the team--thanks very much for the feedback!
Jessica Ramos
Technical Support
Red Gate Software Ltd.
jessica.ramos

Return to ANTS Memory Profiler 7