Snapshot forcing garbage collection

Memory profiling for .NET developers

Moderators: Luke Jefferson, StephenC, AndrewH, melvyn.harbour, james.billings, Laura Morley, dene.boulton

Snapshot forcing garbage collection

Postby rbeaver@emphasys-software » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:51 pm

I've been recently assigned to a fairly large WPF based ERP system. We're having some memory issues in the application and memory profiler has proved fairly invaluable. That being said, I'm seeing some odd behavior.

We have one page that loads an enormous amount of records, so I take a snapshot before load and after load. There is a difference of about 80mb between the two states. After leaving the page, on the page unload method we explicitly clear both the grid and the observablecollection that holds these records. Yet, the memory profiler still shows a large amount of memory being used by this page. I thought it might simply be a case of the garbage collector not yet being called so I've waited it out several minutes during testing.

The crazy thing is, as soon as I do a snapshot, the memory usage drops to what I think it should be, every time. I even validated it against the resource monitor. I know how crazy this sounds, but does anyone have any ideas as to why this would be happening?

Thanks,
Ryan
rbeaver@emphasys-software

Postby Chris.Allen » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:26 pm

Snapshot= GC.Collect() :)
Chris.Allen

Huh

Postby rbeaver@emphasys-software » Wed May 01, 2013 12:40 pm

Well that explains it, thanks Chris!

Ryan
rbeaver@emphasys-software

Return to ANTS Memory Profiler 7