Memory profiler launch and source code navigation issues

Memory profiling for .NET developers

Moderators: Luke Jefferson, StephenC, AndrewH, melvyn.harbour, james.billings, Laura Morley, dene.boulton

Memory profiler launch and source code navigation issues

Postby myr_zero » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:44 am

Hi

I have Silverlight 5 application in .NET 4.5. I am using ANTS profiler with Visual studio 2012.

When I try to run memory profiler from visual studio, by selecting option "profile memory" from ANTS menu, I got exception "Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation." Exception detail is as below

[b]System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException
at ?
myr_zero

Re: Memory profiler launch and source code navigation issues

Postby myr_zero » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:04 am

[quote="myr_zero"]Hi

I have Silverlight 5 application in .NET 4.5. I am using ANTS profiler with Visual studio 2012.

When I try to run memory profiler from visual studio, by selecting option "profile memory" from ANTS menu, I got exception "Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation." Exception detail is as below

[b]System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException
at ?
myr_zero

Postby james.billings » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:21 pm

Thanks for your post.

Development on the Memory Profiler lags behind the Performance Profiler I'm afraid, and it looks like currently AMP only checks as far as VS2010 for the dev-server. We should be getting back to work on AMP soon, and this is likely to get fixed, but for now the following workaround might work.

It looks like we check for the webdev server in %commonprogramfiles%\\Microsoft Shared\\DevServer\\10.0. You will probably have one in a folder named 11.0 instead; so one option is to try copying the files from the 11.0 folder into a 10.0 folder alongside and see if we find it (on my machine %commonfiles% also went to the "Program Files" folder, not "Program Files (x86)" so you may also need to copy to the right location there too.

I've not tried the above; so I can't guarantee it'll work, but it's worth trying.
james.billings

Re:

Postby myr_zero » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:15 am

james.billings wrote:Thanks for your post.

Development on the Memory Profiler lags behind the Performance Profiler I'm afraid, and it looks like currently AMP only checks as far as VS2010 for the dev-server. We should be getting back to work on AMP soon, and this is likely to get fixed, but for now the following workaround might work.

It looks like we check for the webdev server in %commonprogramfiles%\\Microsoft Shared\\DevServer\\10.0. You will probably have one in a folder named 11.0 instead; so one option is to try copying the files from the 11.0 folder into a 10.0 folder alongside and see if we find it (on my machine %commonfiles% also went to the "Program Files" folder, not "Program Files (x86)" so you may also need to copy to the right location there too.

I've not tried the above; so I can't guarantee it'll work, but it's worth trying.

I tried this approach and it works. But it is not helping anything for analysis.
1. When directly running from Visual studio, memory profiler only profiles server side objects. Same is true in case of performance profiler also.
2. And still there is no source code navigation functionality

So I believe we left with only option, to run profiler using local dev server URL and manual navigation to source code.
myr_zero

Postby james.billings » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:44 pm

Yeah, with Silverlight you have both client code executing, and also the server side hosted by the web-server. You cannot profile both together in one session unfortunately as they are two separate processes.
james.billings

Re:

Postby mobaidr » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:20 am

james.billings wrote:Yeah, with Silverlight you have both client code executing, and also the server side hosted by the web-server. You cannot profile both together in one session unfortunately as they are two separate processes.

I tried navigating to silverlight code mentioned @ this url "http://www.red-gate.com/supportcenter/content/ANTS_Memory_Profiler/help/7.4/amp_setup_silverlight"

But when i run the application I get the following error "Service communications cannot be started. If running in Visual Studio, make sure that the web application project is the startup project."
mobaidr

Postby james.billings » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:28 pm

That's not a message I've seen before. When does it come up- when starting your SL app out of browser? Or when navigating to source code?
Can you actually profile OK, and it's just the source code navigation that's broken?
james.billings

Return to ANTS Memory Profiler 7