7.3.0.383 Issue: Refreshing Connection for 20m & counting

Compresses, encrypts, secures and monitors SQL Server backups.

Moderators: JonathanWatts, Chris Auckland, eddie davis, Colin Millerchip, Brian Harris, james.billings, RBA, petey

Postby PDinCA » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:53 pm

After TWO HOURS the cluster's Activity History is finally back!

It also incurred a SQL "Long Running Query" Alert from SQL Monitor - the query ran for 8718.0400001 seconds!!!
PDinCA

Postby PDinCA » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:54 am

It also turns out that the server has Activity dating back to 9 Oct 2012. The sqbdata process is responsible for the long running query, hence the 6 full months of activity may be the underlying issue, not the client or server dat or sdf files...

Maintenance plan for History Cleanup is now configured, executed, and we're down to 30-days.
PDinCA

Postby james.billings » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:02 pm

I'd already left for the night when you posted that last message- unlikely it's going to be busy with lots of data then...
Did you manage to remove the file in the end?
james.billings

Postby PDinCA » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:14 pm

No need to remove the file after I whacked the extraneous backup history. All clients now refresh the activity history just fine.

I deployed the server bits to three more production servers that have only 30-day history retention and had no issues at all. Their backup schedules are very similar to the 6-month-retention machine, BTW.

The fact that SQL Monitor kicked out a Long Running Query Alert for sqbdata as the underlying process tells me that the issue lies in THAT process and that the volume of data gave it a two hour twenty five minute headache!
PDinCA

Postby mglenn » Fri May 17, 2013 2:51 pm

Has Red-Gate looked into performance tuning sqbdata? Activity History still takes forever to populate--GT 5 minutes for us on a server that contains 1 year of history.

Customers should not be forced to delete important backup history as a workaround for a poorly performing SQL Backup process.
mglenn

Previous

Return to SQL Backup 7