can't exclude identical objects?!

Compares and synchronizes SQL Server databases, backups and scripts.

Moderators: JonathanWatts, Chris Auckland, David Atkinson, eddie davis, Anu Deshpande, Michelle Taylor, alice.easey, james.billings, chengvoon.tong

can't exclude identical objects?!

Postby vincentj » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:55 am

Why does SQL Compare now include identical objects by default? I'm generating HTML reports that show the differences between Subversion and the production database, and since I upgraded to 10.3 they're showing all the identical objects which makes the reports take forever to load and take up tons of disk space.

I am using a filter but apparently I can't simply add /exclude:identical if I'm using a filter (which would be great). So I spent a couple hours converting all of our filter rules to a complex set of /include and /exclude rules. Now I have a command line which is 2800 characters long (basically unmaintainable) and the identical object still aren't being excluded. Not to mention that I can no longer share my filters between the command line and GUI tools.

Thinking I had some error due to the immense complexity of the command, I simplified my command to just /exclude:identical and /exclude:additional. And it's still showing the identical objects. There seems to be no way to exclude them.

This change is a huge problem for us and I don't have time to try to develop a workaround, can you please revert back to the previous behavior?

And in the meantime, please provide me with a link to the version with the old behavior (10.1?) so I can install that. Thanks.

EDIT: It seems that the IgnoreIdentitySeedAndIncrement is broken as well, it's still showing as a difference in my reports.
vincentj

Postby Brian Donahue » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:41 pm

Thanks for your post. Please feel free to download 10.2.3.1 for now:
ftp://F0070239:i7ePnCcG@supportftp.red- ... .2.3.1.exe

There is a known issue with reports in the latest version ( SC-6165 ).
Brian Donahue

Postby vincentj » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:54 pm

Great, thanks!

At some point I would like to use the new /include:StaticData feature because it'll help speed up our deployments. Am I going to run into the same error if I try to use that with my filter files?
vincentj

Postby Brian Donahue » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:04 pm

Hi,

As far as I am aware, the tables involved in static data transfer are the ones mentioned in RedgateDatabaseInfo.xml (the configuration file that SQL Compare/Source Control creates for you).

I'll try to get clarification on this.
Brian Donahue

Postby Admin » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:52 am

The /include:StaticData argument takes the tables it will modify from the RedGateDatabaseInfo.xml file. If you compare form a static script, you can try first modifying that file and putting the tables whose data you want to sync in the DataFileSet element.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby howarthcd » Mon May 20, 2013 3:22 pm

Hi Red-Gate

It's been four months since we initially reported the filter bug (for which you created SC-6165).

Are you able to confirm when this issue will be resolved?

Thanks
Chris
howarthcd

Postby sheldonhull » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:16 pm

I'm having this issue as well. Any help?
sheldonhull

Postby Michelle Taylor » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:28 am

Have you tried the latest version (linked in the announcement above; http://downloads.red-gate.com/checkforu ... 4.8.87.exe or available through Check for Updates)? SC-6165 should be fixed in this version for identical objects in reports.
Michelle Taylor

Return to SQL Compare 10