Restore/Migrate Deployment Manager Server

Automated deployment for web applications and databases

Moderators: Mike Upton, justin.caldicott, Sean.newham, csmith, chirayu, DavidSimner, david.conlin

Restore/Migrate Deployment Manager Server

Postby poaimoku » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:07 pm

How can i migrate DM and it's settings to another server? I have the backups, but have not seen any documentation on this topic. It would be great if it were in the UI as well.(unless it is and I missed it)
any help appreciated.
thanks
poaimoku

Postby james.billings » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:05 pm

Thanks for your post.

I don't believe there's currently any supported way to migrate everything from one server to another. Most of the settings will be stored in the database under c:\\ProgramData\\Red Gate\\DeploymentManager.

You may find you can do a fresh install on the new server, then copy over the data file from the original server. I've not tried this, so I cannot guarantee it'll work though!
james.billings

Postby Mike Upton » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:58 pm

The simplest thing to do is indeed to copy the entire data directory to the new machine. The default data storage directory is C:\\ProgramData\\Red Gate\\DeploymentManager\\Data. The only caveat is that you should make sure the Deployment Manager service is stopped on both the source and target machines before trying to copy the folder (the full name of the service is "Red Gate Deployment Manager").

You can also put the data directory in place before installing Deployment Manager on the new machine, and then specify the path to the newly copied data directory in the appropriate step in the installer (it's the page titled "Database location").
Mike Upton

Software Engineer
Red Gate Software Ltd.
Mike Upton

Postby poaimoku » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:38 pm

Thanks for the replies.
I'll give it a shot.
poaimoku

Postby poaimoku » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:03 am

Yup, worked like a charm.
thanks all.
poaimoku