Slowdown of interface

SQL Server performance monitoring and alerting

Moderators: eddie davis, priyasinha, Adam, chriskelly, Chris Lambrou, Chris Spencer

Postby Chris Spencer » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:56 pm

Hello

Is anybody still seeing performance issues with the Alert Inbox when using Chrome?

We're currently investigated this but have been unable to reproduce in recent versions of Chrome. So we're thinking that a Chrome update might have fixed it.

Regards
Chris
Chris Spencer
Test Engineer
Red Gate
Chris Spencer
 
Posts: 301
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:09 am
Location: Red Gate - Cambridge

Postby PDinCA » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:37 pm

Upgraded to 3.2.1.231 on Feb 19th. Initially thought it was a horrible rev because:

1) Performance Data is forever "loading..."
2) Cannot use the Older/Newer links
3) Opened a new tab and when closed it left its imprint over the Monitor page, or a grey page background.

I pulled that bug report - until today, when I'm back to those issues...

Am certainly on the latest Chrome Version 24.0.1312.57 m.

Series of actions today:

Monitor was open at the Overview page for the cluster.
. Configuration ==> Licenses
. Alerts
. Detail a Job Failed alert. Cleared it.
. Detail a R: Drive space alert. Configured the Alert to disable it.
. Detail a Q: Drive space alert. Configured the Alert to disable it.
. Detailed a "HarddiskVolume" Alert, which is VERY confusing as all it says is 0 used, 0 free, etc. Don't even know what it is because the Performance Data is still "Loading...".

The page is STONE COLD DEAD apart from the title bar's "Help" :), which at least allowed me to get to the forum. Yesterday I could click the main Overview/Alerts/... tabs and change the page, but the content was nixed after the first "Loading..." issue.

I just tried to view the Monitor page - my Forum page is what is showing, although the mouse pointer does change as I move over the page's controls, so something is registering despite being unusable.

Perhaps what was done to accommodate IE10 (IE% = Browser of last resort) messed up Chrome... I was on the immediately prior rev of SQL Monitor and had no rendering or freezing pages issues whatsoever.

Underlying OS is Windows 2008 SP2.

Any other assistance I can give?

If this isn't resolved or in analysis, I'll have to revert...
PDinCA
 
Posts: 512
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:42 pm
Location: Costa Mesa, CA, USA

Postby Chris Spencer » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:46 pm

Hi Stephen

I've investigated this and have seen some performance issues with the Disk Space alert where the Performance Data section doesn't load and the page eventually times out. I only see this when using Chrome or IE9. Firefox seems to be far quicker at this particular task.

I'm not seeing points 2) or 3) however. Maybe my system isn't struggling quite as much as yours. The system that I'm seeing this on has a 200GB data repository by the way, my other systems with lower purge settings are fine. It would be interesting to know the size of your SQL Monitor repository for comparison purposes.

Anyway I've raised a bug for this (ref: SRP-8541) and we'll investigate further.

Regards
Chris
Chris Spencer
Test Engineer
Red Gate
Chris Spencer
 
Posts: 301
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:09 am
Location: Red Gate - Cambridge

Postby PDinCA » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:37 pm

Hi Chris.

Thanks for the swift follow-up.

My repository is only 20GB. I have a 14-day max retention and some at 7 days. I only monitor one SQL Cluster (Budget-distressed for any more - need 3 more!).

The unusable page is probably due to the performance data not loading. The page-litter is also reproducible under the same "Loading..." condition, so they're symptoms, not separate bugs methinks.

Regards.
PDinCA
 
Posts: 512
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:42 pm
Location: Costa Mesa, CA, USA

Previous

Return to SQL Monitor 3

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron