Memory Management in ASP.NET Website

Memory profiling for .NET developers

Moderators: Luke Jefferson, StephenC, AndrewH, melvyn.harbour, james.billings, Laura Morley, dene.boulton

Memory Management in ASP.NET Website

Postby valentim » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:35 pm

After spending a day learning about memory management I still have a big knowledge gap pertaining to a how a .net website manages memory (vs. an asp.net windows application).

Memory leaks in a windows app seem to make sense. Memory can be "held" during the lifetime of the app.

However, for a website, once the page lifecycle is complete (i.e. the page is rendered) I would have expected all memory to be released (except data in session memory). Now the CLR might be holding onto memory and doing it's own thing etc. but in terms of the .net application code that we developers write -- I would expect all that memory to be released auto-magically.

So when I see regex holding onto a string in the large object heap (after a page has been rendered) I don't understand conceptually how this is possible (for a website). So it makes it difficult to know how to approach a fix.

Thanks!
valentim

Postby Chris.Allen » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:46 pm

All I can say is try it and see- we have made the memory profiler as easy to use as is possible, yet still be very powerful.

Go through a session- take lots of snapshots and we would be happy to take a look at your saved results file if you send t to:

support@red-gate.com
Chris.Allen

Return to ANTS Memory Profiler 7