Crushing SQL Server Performance After Upgrade

A SQL Server Management Studio add-in to source control your database in Subversion or Team Foundation Server.

Moderators: Chris Auckland, David Atkinson, sherr, PhilScrace, andy.campbell.smith

Crushing SQL Server Performance After Upgrade

Postby TheSQLGuru » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:42 pm

I just upgraded to SSC 3.1.0.4829 and I am getting frequent calls to this type of execution:

declare @p1 datetime
set @p1='2012-11-15 21:30:26.057'
exec tempdb.dbo.RG_WhatsChanged @SinceWhen=@p1 output,@DatabaseList=N'<stringarray><element><seqno>1</seqno><item>eFR5010Dev</item></element></stringarray>',@Quietly=0,@MatchCountLimit=3
select @p1

It is running for 10-11 seconds, burning 420K reads and eating 20-40% of my CPU. Prior version did NOT do this!!!

I am using SQL 2008R2 and SSMS build is 10.50.2796.

Code storage is Vault 5.1.2


***************************
separate issue: I traced THOUSANDS of calls like this when I went to view history:

exec dbo.spgettxhistory @objid=4309,@rowlimit=1,@begindate='2011-10-02 14:28:28.397',@enddate='2011-10-02 14:28:28.397',@startversion=0
go
exec sp_reset_connection
go
exec dbo.spgettxhistory @objid=4309,@rowlimit=1,@begindate='2011-10-02 14:28:28.397',@enddate='2011-10-02 14:28:28.397',@startversion=0
go
exec sp_reset_connection
go
exec dbo.spgettxhistory @objid=4309,@rowlimit=1,@begindate='2011-10-02 14:28:28.397',@enddate='2011-10-02 14:28:28.397',@startversion=0
go
exec sp_reset_connection
go
exec dbo.spgettxhistory @objid=4309,@rowlimit=1,@begindate='2011-10-02 14:28:28.397',@enddate='2011-10-02 14:28:28.397',@startversion=0
go
exec sp_reset_connection
go
exec dbo.spgettxhistory @objid=4309,@rowlimit=1,@begindate='2011-10-02 14:28:28.397',@enddate='2011-10-02 14:28:28.397',@startversion=0
go
exec sp_reset_connection
go
exec dbo.spgettxhistory @objid=4309,@rowlimit=1,@begindate='2011-10-02 14:28:28.397',@enddate='2011-10-02 14:28:28.397',@startversion=0
go

that sure looks like an infinite looping bug...
Kevin G. Boles
SQL Server MVP 2007-2012
Indicium Resources, Inc.
TheSQLGuru
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:20 pm

EngineOptions

Postby TheSQLGuru » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:45 pm

Here is my engine options settings file in the source control 3 folder:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="yes"?>
<!---->
<EngineOptions version="2" type="EngineOptions">
<PollingEnabled>False</PollingEnabled>
<DefaultTraceMinimumInterQueryTimeInMillis>0</DefaultTraceMinimumInterQueryTimeInMillis>
<SysObjectsMinimumInterQueryTimeInMillis>0</SysObjectsMinimumInterQueryTimeInMillis>
<SysTypesMinimumInterQueryTimeInMillis>0</SysTypesMinimumInterQueryTimeInMillis>
<DefaultTraceMinimumRequestedInterQueryTimeInMillis>0</DefaultTraceMinimumRequestedInterQueryTimeInMillis>
</EngineOptions>
Kevin G. Boles
SQL Server MVP 2007-2012
Indicium Resources, Inc.
TheSQLGuru
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:20 pm

Postby Brian Donahue » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:36 am

I'm sorry you have encountered this issue. I will be responding to you via email with the information relevant to troubleshooting this problem.

Thanks!
Brian Donahue
 
Posts: 6668
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:48 am

SG Vault

Postby TheSQLGuru » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:12 pm

I isolated the spgettxhistory calls to Source Gear Vault.

STILL cannot believe you kill my box with the get version calls though. There simply MUST be a way to disable that!
Kevin G. Boles
SQL Server MVP 2007-2012
Indicium Resources, Inc.
TheSQLGuru
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:20 pm


Return to SQL Source Control 3

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron