memory leak - webservices

Memory profiling for .NET developers

Moderators: Luke Jefferson, StephenC, AndrewH, melvyn.harbour, james.billings, Laura Morley, dene.boulton

memory leak - webservices

Postby ssteiner » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:04 pm

Hi

My service app (so no UI) seems to have a memory leak that I'm trying to get to the bottom of using ANTS.
If I take two snapshots, I see memory usage growing slowly but constantly. If I look at the class list and filter out new objects, at the very top I have strings, and if I look at what's in them, it seems they're all part of my web service wrapper class. The wrapper class talks to a bunch of webservices, and there's one wrapper per session (there's one for every logged in user, plus about a dozen administrative ones.. and every couple of minutes, I clone one of the existing ones to load some data from the third party system and compare with what I currently know about the system in my database).
What's in all those strings? I have names of the classes that are used to communicate with the webservices, namespaces for the webservices, etc. Also growing at a somewhat slower but still alarming rates are ElementAccessors, ElementMapping, and a lot of other classes that seem to be used by the webservices I'm talking to.

My wrapper makes use of a couple webserivces that are all added via "add service reference", and there's no explicit calls to Open/Close on each of those service references.

Now, I'm a bit puzzled as to why I see all those new object showing up every time I make a snapshot - am I missing something fundamental about web services, or is ANTS misleading me into going down a wrong path?
ssteiner

Postby jessica.ramos » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:34 am

Thanks for your post. Could you please send your results file to support@red-gate.com with "F0065482" in the subject line so we can take a look?
Jessica Ramos
Technical Support
Red Gate Software Ltd.
jessica.ramos

Return to ANTS Memory Profiler 7