Bug: Template uses "\\r\\nGO" to detect batches for /postsql

Packages and compresses schema and contents of SQL Server databases

Moderators: JonathanWatts, Chris Auckland, David Atkinson, david connell, Anu Deshpande, Michelle Taylor, james.billings, Marianne

Bug: Template uses "\\r\\nGO" to detect batches for /postsql

Postby colbybhearn » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:48 pm

I just spent a couple hours getting the /postsql switch to work on an .exe created with Packager. It worked fine for one script but not another, so I went digging. I found that the code template has a method RunSQLFile(string,string) that reads an sql file, chops it into batches using "GO" statements and calls the ExecuteSQLCommand(string) method.

I removed all the GO statements from my query, but no real change in output or functionality. I did some debugging on RunSQLFile and discovered it was still finding a "GO" somehow! Turns out the script had a GOTO statement on a newline, which matches "\\r\\nGO" perfectly. Thus, it was detecting a batch that didn't exist.

Workaround:
The workaround is fairly simple. I can just prevent my GOTO from matching "\\r\\nGO" by inserting white-space or by putting the GOTO at the end of the previous line.

Suggestion:
In my own sql script processing library, I use "\\r\\nGO\\r\\n", but I don't know if that's always appropriate. Also, specifically stating that GO is used to breakup the script into batches would be helpful to have documented somewhere - maybe on the info tab of the resulting .exe or maybe in the help embedded in sqlpackager.exe available from the command line.

I hope this helps make a great tool even better.
-Colby
colbybhearn

Postby Brian Donahue » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:31 am

Can you please let me know which version of SQL Packager this affects? I believe this issue has been addressed in a private patch:
ftp://support.red-gate.com/patches/sql_ ... .4.1.2.exe

If you already have 6.4.1, please let me know.
Brian Donahue

Postby colbybhearn » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:34 pm

Hey Brian,
Thanks for checking on this.
Yup, my version of SqlPackager is 6.4.0.8
Glad it's already taken care of!
-Colby
colbybhearn

Return to SQL Packager 6