Feature Suggestion: Exception List

Memory profiling for .NET developers

Moderators: Luke Jefferson, StephenC, AndrewH, melvyn.harbour, james.billings, Laura Morley, dene.boulton

Feature Suggestion: Exception List

Postby hignettm » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:08 am

I'm finding a fair amount of false positives with ANTS memory profiler - for example List<T> appears to leak an empty array.

The trouble is, in six months time when I next do memory analysis at the end of a development cycle I have forgotten everything that I can safely ignore!

So, I have an idea for a new feature: An 'ignore list' that allows me to ignore specific leaks. I should be able to add a free text comment to each item in the list so I can add an explanation as to why it is ignored. A way to import/export the list as a text file would be needed so the list can be added to source control.

All leaks that match those in the list should be excluded from reports and there should be a simple way (e.g. right click on a class in the class list) to add an ignore item.

Is such a feature possible? I think it would have to match by class type (e.g. Cezanne.Framework.Application.CFWorkflowItem[]). Would that be sufficient, or is there a risk that real leaks would get ignored? Properly matching leaks with ignore items is probably the trickiest part of this...

Thanks!
hignettm

Postby jessica.ramos » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:43 pm

Hello,

Thank you for your suggestion! It does seems like this option might pose some risks of ignoring potentially useful information, however, I've created a feature request (with reference MP-1836) and the developers can take the idea into consideration for future releases. Nonetheless, I do think the particular aspect of being able to comment on items is a nice idea. Thank you for your feedback! :D
Jessica Ramos
Technical Support
Red Gate Software Ltd.
jessica.ramos

Return to ANTS Memory Profiler 7