Linking existing database to SVN gives circular reference

A SQL Server Management Studio add-in to source control your database in Subversion or Team Foundation Server.

Moderators: Chris Auckland, David Atkinson, sherr, PhilScrace

Linking existing database to SVN gives circular reference

Postby GilesMiddleton » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:59 am

I added an existing database to an SVN repository, that was seamless. I then tried to link another existing database to that same repository i just created. The Link was ok, but the Get Latest gave this error;-

"Script folder contains circular object references. Such databases cannot be created. Please ensure the source scripts define a consistent database schema"

The full error message details are not too helpful.
GilesMiddleton

Postby Brian Donahue » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:43 pm

Hello Giles,

Do you mean to say you have put two databases into the same folder of source control? I don't think that's a good idea, as some objects may have the same name, etc. The error message will probably be different depending on the inconsistency produced by taking this action.
Brian Donahue

Still getting Circular Ref errors

Postby GilesMiddleton » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:20 pm

Hi Brian,

Perhaps i was not clear, I have Development and UAT versions of the same database schema on different servers, both linked to a single SVN folder, via SQL Source Control.

This circular reference error is sporadic and inconsistant. Sometimes it allows updates, commits; other times this error is thrown and i can't access source through SSC.

There is no indication in the SSC log as to what object causes this error.
GilesMiddleton

Postby valthor » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:30 pm

I'm having the same problem, I can't commit anything to my TFS source control directory
valthor

Return to SQL Source Control 1