Access Problems caused by memory issues

Compresses, encrypts, secures and monitors SQL Server backups.

Moderators: JonathanWatts, Chris Auckland, eddie davis, Colin Millerchip, Brian Harris, james.billings, RBA, petey

Access Problems caused by memory issues

Postby ChrisAVWood » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:37 pm

This is on a W2K3R2 SQL2005 32_bit server currently running 6.5.2.9 moving to 7.1 shortly.

We believe that this is a process that must be leaking memory causing this so I just want to confirm.

It starts off with a backup job thats fails with a VDI 1010 error that throws an SQL error 3013 followed by an SQL error 18210 BackupVirtualDeviceSet::Initialize: Request large buffers failure on backup device 'SQLBACKUP_4A05EA30-4CCE-4FE8-8817-CBA59951F70C'. Operating system error 0x800705aa(error not found).
This gets followed by another backup job failing with SQL error 18452: Login failed for user ''. The user is not associated with a trusted SQL Server connection. or with SQL error -2147467259: Cannot generate SSPI context and SQL error -2146893056: SQL Network Interfaces: Not enough memory is available to complete this request.

This only started to happen last week when we believe a new process was introduced that could be leaking memory.

I am hoping I have provided enough info that my memory concern can be confirmed.

Thanks

Chris
English DBA living in CANADA
ChrisAVWood

Postby petey » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:43 pm

The error messages seem to suggest an issue with the SQL Server memory space. If you run

Code: Select all
EXEC master..sqbmemory

it should give you an overview of the SQL Server memory details. There are probably DMVs' that can give you a more detailed picture of how the memory is being used by the SQL Server process.
Peter Yeoh
SQL Backup Consultant Developer
Associate, Yohz Software
Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 7
petey

Postby ChrisAVWood » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:06 pm

Thanks Pete.

I was running jobs that looked at the VAS but this was not the problem. Now I have added the sqbmemory check as well and look for situations where the memory goes low.

This is happening every day but at random times so I am unsure what is causing the problems.

Chris
English DBA living in CANADA
ChrisAVWood

Return to SQL Backup 7