Issues with dual server install

SQL Server performance monitoring and alerting

Moderators: eddie davis, priyasinha, Adam, chriskelly, Chris Lambrou, Chris Spencer

Issues with dual server install

Postby john.trumbul » Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:52 am

Hello All,

I am stuck after trying just about everything i have found on the topic. I Currently have the following setup that I am attempting to install SQL Monitor 3 on:

Web Server with IIS7
SQL Server 2012 Server

I am a domain admin on both servers. Both servers are also under the same domain. I was able to install the base monitor on the sql server machine. I have verified that my account has full control over the folders specified in the installation documentation.

Base monitor installed successfully, i went into the services manager on the sql server and set the base monitor to run under my account, and made sure it is running.

On the web server i installed the software setup the application in IIS and set the application pool to run under my account as well. when i load the monitor webpage regardless of whether or not i access it through localhost or the ip address. It asks me to connect to the base monitor server. I have put in the name and port trying both the ip address and the domain name along with the default port the base monitor setup for me. I looked at the firewall settings on the base monitor server and created a rule to open that port allowing all connections for right now just to try to get past this, yet still no matter what i do i always end up with the following error:

A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond 10.1.1.1:7399

If anyone can help me get past this error it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
JT++

Not sure if its important or not but just as a side note: running command prompt as admin from each of the servers i am able to ping the other by using the domain name and the ip address
john.trumbul
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:42 am
Location: Austin, Texas

Postby Brian Donahue » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:53 pm

Hello,

The connection between the webservice and the base monitor uses .NET remoting, so in addition to firewalls blocking port 7399 and/or the SOAP (protocol), it could be a problem traversing a NAT interface. Remoting does not play well with NAT because AFAIK it has to make a connection back to the caller and NAT usually only allows this communication one-way.

If you're using a virtual machine for the base monitor, you may want to use connection sharing rather than NAT.
Brian Donahue
 
Posts: 6670
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:48 am

Postby john.trumbul » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:35 pm

Hello Brian,

Thank you for your assistance. What the issue ended up being was an improperly configured firewall rule on my end. I essentially reversed the order of the local and remote port values. Once i fixed them the monitor connected just fine.

Thanks again.
John
john.trumbul
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:42 am
Location: Austin, Texas

Postby Brian Donahue » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:34 am

Hi John,

Thanks for the follow-up -- I suppose that a firewall needs to have the connection allowed both ways for the same reason it doesn't work well with NAT.
Brian Donahue
 
Posts: 6670
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:48 am


Return to SQL Monitor 3

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests