Objects are not visible

Visualizes SQL Server object dependencies.

Moderators: David Atkinson, Anu Deshpande

Objects are not visible

Postby romiltcs » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:54 pm

Hello,

I'm using Dependency tracker and after entering the SQL Server Instance, and selecting the needed database, i see a "Objects in Selected Database". In that window i am not able to see any such objects (tables, views, SPs, functions) etc.
romiltcs
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:03 pm

Postby Brian Donahue » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:51 pm

Hello,

The most obvious thing to check first is that the logon you use to connect to SQL Server has VIEW DEFINITION granted to it. This security right allows you to see the definition of schema objects in the database.
Brian Donahue
 
Posts: 6670
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:48 am

Re:

Postby romiltcs » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:18 am

Brian Donahue wrote:Hello,

The most obvious thing to check first is that the logon you use to connect to SQL Server has VIEW DEFINITION granted to it. This security right allows you to see the definition of schema objects in the database.


Hi Brain,

I just created a new test database through Windows Authentication in SQL Management Studio and then try viewing it through the dependency tracker but nothing was seen here.

To explain more a bit, you can the see image at http://tinypic.com/r/9jlxxw/5
romiltcs
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:03 pm

Postby Brian Donahue » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:59 am

Hello,

Is the database in compatibility level 6.5?
Brian Donahue
 
Posts: 6670
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:48 am

Re:

Postby romiltcs » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:37 am

Brian Donahue wrote:Hello,

Is the database in compatibility level 6.5?


Hello Brian,

I am using SQL Server 2008 so i guess the version has to be 6.5 or higher. Not sure though. Can you please guide me for the same so that i can check that and update you the same.

Thanks!
romiltcs
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:03 pm

Postby Brian Donahue » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:32 am

You can run the following query:
Code: Select all
exec sp_dbcmptlevel 'dbname'
where dbname is the name of the database.
Brian Donahue
 
Posts: 6670
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:48 am

Re:

Postby romiltcs » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:07 pm

Brian Donahue wrote:You can run the following query:
Code: Select all
exec sp_dbcmptlevel 'dbname'
where dbname is the name of the database.


Thanks Brian.

I ran the query and the compatibility level is 100.

Thanks!
romiltcs
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:03 pm

Postby Brian Donahue » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:20 pm

Just to completely rule out permissions, have you tried connecting using the SA account?
Brian Donahue
 
Posts: 6670
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:48 am

Re:

Postby romiltcs » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:04 am

Brian Donahue wrote:Just to completely rule out permissions, have you tried connecting using the SA account?


Hello,

I tried with login with SA Account. See below image. Username is SA

http://tinypic.com/r/ezyau/5

Thanks!
romiltcs
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:03 pm

Re:

Postby romiltcs » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:37 am

romiltcs wrote:
Brian Donahue wrote:Just to completely rule out permissions, have you tried connecting using the SA account?


Hello,

I tried with login with SA Account. See below image. Username is SA

http://tinypic.com/r/ezyau/5

Thanks!


Awaiting your Reply....
romiltcs
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:03 pm

Postby romiltcs » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:52 pm

Hi

Still awaiting some reply on this.
romiltcs
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:03 pm

Postby Brian Donahue » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:47 pm

Hi,

Sorry, everyone is stumped and since there is no error messge we have to make educated guesses as to what is wrong. Is the SQL Server the Express version? That's the only suspicion we have at the moment.
Brian Donahue
 
Posts: 6670
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:48 am

Re:

Postby romiltcs » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:03 pm

Brian Donahue wrote:Hi,

Sorry, everyone is stumped and since there is no error messge we have to make educated guesses as to what is wrong. Is the SQL Server the Express version? That's the only suspicion we have at the moment.


Yes Brian, this is SQL Express with advanced service (2008) version.
romiltcs
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:03 pm

Re:

Postby romiltcs » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:42 am

romiltcs wrote:
Brian Donahue wrote:Hi,

Sorry, everyone is stumped and since there is no error messge we have to make educated guesses as to what is wrong. Is the SQL Server the Express version? That's the only suspicion we have at the moment.


Yes Brian, this is SQL Express with advanced service (2008) version.


Any luck Brian?
romiltcs
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:03 pm


Return to SQL Dependency Tracker 2

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests