Memory Performance Counter for child process

Memory profiling for .NET developers

Moderators: Bart Read, Luke Jefferson, StephenC, AndrewH, melvyn.harbour, james.billings, Laura Morley, dene.boulton

Memory Performance Counter for child process

Postby spenceee » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:55 am

G'day,

Is it possible to show the memory performance counter graphs for a child process (across the top of the window). We have an app that is hosted in multiple ways, but the meat of the app is actually process isolated into the child. We don't have .Net 4.0 otherwise I would attach directly.

If this isn't possible, perhaps I could lodge an improvement request for this?
spenceee

Postby Chris.Allen » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:36 pm

G'day mate :)

I guess you mean- show *only* the memory usage of the child process (since ANTS *will* show memory used by child process but will aggregate all memory per process).

I can raise this as a feature request; thanks for the suggestion.
Chris.Allen

Postby spenceee » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:51 am

I'm running 7.1 memory profiler and this is not correct.

I'm profiling a windows service that has a child process which I'm debugging. The graph of memory counts across the top of the screen are ONLY the counters of the service process, not the child process.

Perhaps I've done something wrong? Definately all the analysis works perfectly on the child, it would just be nice to view the memory peaks and troughs on the graph when selecting baselines.
spenceee

Postby Chris.Allen » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:50 pm

Just to check- there is an explicit option to profile child processes on the initial profiling start screen. So that's definitely checked?

Do you know which API call is used to start the process? Some calls, such as process.start() won't get picked up...
Chris.Allen

Return to ANTS Memory Profiler 7