Error code 1603 and 1722 in the log file

Memory profiling for .NET developers

Moderators: Luke Jefferson, StephenC, AndrewH, melvyn.harbour, james.billings, Laura Morley, dene.boulton

Error code 1603 and 1722 in the log file

Postby alqui » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:27 pm

I try to install ANTS memory profiler and I get the error code 1603.

Then I go check the log file and I noticed this.

MSI (s) (90:FC) [15:09:14:218]: Product: ANTS Memory Profiler 7 -- Error 1722. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Action BuildMandlebrotCS, location: C:\\Program Files\\Red Gate\\ANTS Memory Profiler 7\\Tutorials\\CS\\Mandelbrot\\, command: C:\\Program Files\\Red Gate\\ANTS Memory Profiler 7\\Tutorials\\CS\\Mandelbrot\\build.bat

What is wrong ?
alqui

Postby Chris.Allen » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:01 pm

The solution is to run the specific batch file (or files) on the command line, observe the error and try to fix it manually by, for example, changing the path mentioned in the batch file or even in the environment). This is an example:
Some MS tools force the installation of VS2005 (SQL Server for example). So we have both VS2008 and VS2005 installed. There is a problem with running the FixVS25K.bat file due to the way that VS 2008 and VS 2005 set their relevant environment variables. 2005 omits the \\ at the end:
VS80COMNTOOLS C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\Common7\\Tools\\VS90COMNTOOLS C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\\Common7\\Tools
The FixVS25K.bat file has:
%VS80COMNTOOLS%vsvars32.bat (no slash separating the env variable and file)
This becomes C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio8\\Common7\\Toolsvsvars32.bat
which of course doesnt exist. So thats the first error - a better solution would be to put a slash between the environment variable and the bat, since windows will treat multiple slashes as a single (so it doesnt matter what the env variable says)
But if we manually set the VS80COMNTOOLS environment variable to add the \\ to the end, it gets another error because it cant find DEVENV.COM
The Fix batch files correctly call the vsvars32.bat files for both VS2008 and VS 2005 and the Path variable correctly contains the IDE for each, but the invocation of devenv.com fails. The reason is that it doesnt exist in our installation of VS2005 - presumably because its not a full install.
Since the FixVS25K.bat doesnt do anything if the VS80COMNTOOLS env var doesnt exist, the work around for this installation problem is to remove the environment variable. Then the install works correctly.
Chris.Allen

Return to ANTS Memory Profiler 7