Get Latest - script

A SQL Server Management Studio add-in to source control your database in Subversion or Team Foundation Server.

Moderators: Chris Auckland, David Atkinson, sherr, PhilScrace

Get Latest - script

Postby andreas_agren » Wed May 25, 2011 9:22 am

Hello

When getting the latest changes from e.g. svn into a database there is a script created behind the curtains that does the changes, I have two questions regarding this.

1. Is it possible to get to review and edit this script before it is run when clicking "Get Latest"?

2. Data loss - I had a change in svn that dropped a column and a table (that contained data), "Get Latest" happily did these changes without any warning. This seems very dangerous since people makes mistakes. Can I somehow tune which changes are acceptable when clicking "Get Latest"?
andreas_agren

Postby David Atkinson » Wed May 25, 2011 11:00 am

Thanks for the feedback. What we hope to do in an upcoming release is to pop up a warning when any data loss could occur as a result of a 'get latest', so you can validate that this is indeed what you expect before going ahead with it.

David Atkinson
Product Manager
Red Gate Software
David Atkinson

Postby andreas_agren » Wed May 25, 2011 12:07 pm

Thanks for the information.

What about my first question, is it possible to review and edit the script before it is run by "Get Latest"?
andreas_agren

Postby David Atkinson » Wed May 25, 2011 12:35 pm

There's no way of doing that right now. If the script fails to run successfully, for whatever reason, the script can be viewed.

David
David Atkinson

Postby andreas_agren » Wed May 25, 2011 1:11 pm

I've added a feature request for the data loss-warning:
http://redgate.uservoice.com/forums/390 ... -data-loss

Please vote!
andreas_agren

Return to SQL Source Control 2