How to profile a .NET web app?

Memory profiling for .NET developers

Moderators: Luke Jefferson, StephenC, AndrewH, melvyn.harbour, james.billings, Laura Morley, dene.boulton

How to profile a .NET web app?

Postby jbeteta » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:23 pm

Hello,

I try to profile a .NET web app that starts with a login page and connects to Oracle database.

On ANTS Memory Profiler 7 (AMP7), I set up the web page:

http://localhost/MySite/wf_login.aspx

And click start button.

This page has two boxes: UserId and Password

Then I fill UserId and Password. But software seems to hang because it does not go to next page. Supposedly wf_login.aspx should call wf_Page1.aspx, but it doesn't.

I thought that I could interact with my web app and navigate between different pages, while AMP7 does profile.

Or is it supposed that I have to call each page individually?

Thanks
jbeteta

Postby Brian Donahue » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:22 am

Hello,

ANTS Profiler simply starts a new web worker process and you should be able to interact with it as normal. The problems it causes are
* permissions related: the app now runs as you
- it introduces unmanaged code, and that sometimes violates CASPOL and makes applications blow up
* sometimes it configures the website incorrectly
* crashes can happen in the core and take out the website
* if something closes the browser window (javascript), profiling will stop

Because IIS is designed to thwart hackers, it hides all of the information you need to fix the problem. You can try specifying the URL as localhost, that will sometimes get IIS to print a stack trace to the browser window.

If it were me, I'd assume it's permissions. Maybe your account needs access to the Oracle database.

Other than this, we have to go through the process of debugging the web application.

Sorry this is so difficult.
Brian Donahue

Return to ANTS Memory Profiler 7