Profiler 7 Appears to Hang

Memory profiling for .NET developers

Moderators: Luke Jefferson, StephenC, AndrewH, melvyn.harbour, james.billings, Laura Morley, dene.boulton

Profiler 7 Appears to Hang

Postby PabloInNZ » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:59 am

Hi,
I downloaded a trial and fired it up to profile a .NET project that has a bunch of managed COM controls in it.
It started the application OK, but then just sat there with the big red "Starting application..." box on screen for the next 15 minutes. All the menus seemed to work and the "Stop Profiling" button was available. "Take Memory Snapshot" was not enabled and the top part of the screen was all greyed out.
When I clicked "Stop Profiling" it asked me if I really wanted to as it hadn't taken any snapshots, which I did. It then hung with the bottom left of the screen saying "Updating..." I had to kill it from the task manager

I am running this inside a Windows XP Mode Virtual machine on Windows 7, since the COM suff is old code ported over from VB6 which is being updated a bit before it eventaully gets replaced.
I'm not sure if it is the VM that is possibly causing the problem.

Any help or pointers gratefully received.
PabloInNZ

Postby Brian Donahue » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:47 am

The profiler hanging is "not good" and we have logged a bug about this many weeks ago - it basically happens when there are no results.

But I believe the root problem is that the application didn't load the .NET runtime. You can't take a snapshot until mscorlib loads into the process and initializes the managed profiling interface.
Brian Donahue

Postby Brian Donahue » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:30 pm

What kind of application is this? .NET Desktop?
Brian Donahue

Return to ANTS Memory Profiler 7