Filters list not consistant

Memory profiling for .NET developers

Moderators: Luke Jefferson, StephenC, AndrewH, melvyn.harbour, james.billings, Laura Morley, dene.boulton

Filters list not consistant

Postby dannybird » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:34 pm

Hi

I'm using version 7

The problem is when viewing the class list and I apply a filter 'From current snapshot show only: new object' it shows items having an instance diff > 0. If I remove this filter ( so no filters applied) the same classes show up as instance diff = 0

Shouldn't I see these objects against the list which is not filtered with a instance diff > 0? - they should be in both lists the same

or am I not understanding something :D

thanks
danny
dannybird

Postby AndrewH » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:35 am

The instance difference is calculated after applying the same filter to the earlier snapshot. It's not especially useful in the case of the 'new objects' filter as there are no new objects in the earlier snapshot by definition, so the instance difference is just the number of new objects.

This change is useful with all the other comparison filters, however: it means that the instance difference for the survivors filters shows how many instances of each class were garbage collected between the two snapshots.

Version 6 and earlier used different rules for the instance difference column, though they weren't very consistent and tended to mean that the instance difference count was always 0 if a comparison filter was applied.
Andrew Hunter
Software Developer
Red Gate Software Ltd.
AndrewH

Return to ANTS Memory Profiler 7