Obfuscating non-dependent assemblies

.NET obfuscator and automated error reporting

Moderators: Luke Jefferson, Alex.Davies, melvyn.harbour

Obfuscating non-dependent assemblies

Postby mcobrien » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:13 am

I'm evaluating SA at the moment and there's one Dotfuscator feature I'm trying to find. With Dotfuscator (which I really, *really* want to leave behind!), I can obfuscate an arbitrary set of assemblies, regardless of their dependencies. With SA that doesn't seem to be possible.

Specifically, let's say I have three assemblies I want to obfuscate: Console, Library and Plugin. Both Plugin and Console depend on Library, so I can obfuscate two pretty easily (if I use embedding or merging), and with two SA projects I could obfuscate all three.

However, Console works by loading Plugin via reflection, so the types in Library have to be obfuscated to the same names when I run SA against Console and Plugin. I guess I also want Library to remain an external assembly, though still have it obfuscated.

Is this possible?
mcobrien

Postby Alex.Davies » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:15 am

The way to do this is using a separate SA project for each assembly.
Alex
Developer,
Red Gate .NET Tools
Alex.Davies

Postby Uniwares_AS » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:02 pm

If there are no other dependencies you can also use one "generic" project file and use the inputfile/outputfile feature.
Even with dependencies you can add the dependencies of all your assemblies into one project file.
Uniwares_AS

Return to SmartAssembly 5