Can snapshots contain data?

Automate and integrate using the SQL comparison API

Moderator: Chris Auckland

Can snapshots contain data?

Postby j » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:40 pm

I've had success so far with the Compare engine, but not the DataCompare engine.

When I try to programmatically take a snapshot of a database that has data by RegisterForDataCompare() and then SaveToFolder(), only the schema scripts are created, no inserts.

What step am I missing?

Thanks,

J
j

Postby simon.jackson » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:46 am

Snapshots can currently only contain schema information. You can use the compare to backup functionality of Data Compare to get similar behavior with data.
simon.jackson

Postby j » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:28 pm

Thanks for your response.

So is there no easy way to do a datacompare with a source other than a real database?

I think a redgate backup could do this, but that seems like too complex a set of products for this project at least.

So is the recommended way to go to use the schema-only update as I already have working, and then augment that with an independent, hand-crafted script that ensures that the necessary data values are present in the few lookup tables?

Thanks,

J
j

Postby simon.jackson » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:33 pm

You can datacompare with a backup file, either a native one made with SQL Server or one made with Red Gate SQL Backup.

The currently supported way of combining data and schema is
- Compare with a SQL Compare snapshot or scripts folder in order to update the schema
then
- Date Compare with a SQL Server/Red Gate SQL Backup backup file in order to change the values in lookup tables etc.

This combination should allow you to create the scripts dynamically.
simon.jackson

Return to SQL Comparison SDK Previous Versions