Column-level control over comparison SQL

Forum for users of SQL Toolkit 3,4,and 5

Column-level control over comparison SQL

Postby piers7 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:00 am

Is there any way via the API of controlling the generated schema comparison script (from SQL Compare) at a column level?

What I want to do is exclude certain columns from being syncronised, or adjust how they are sync'd. Specifically for columns that we are going to drop in production, I would prefer to rename them to xxx_Deleted (or something) rather than actually drop them. This gives me a simpler rollback if it turns out that the column should not have been dropped, and it was just that a column rename wasn't picked up on properly.

I was hoping to open the Work object generated from the Differences, and disable / modify sync actions on a column by column basis, but it looks like it's all been rendered down into SQL by that stage, which makes this a bit tricky (ie if the table is being rebuilt, it's very hard to detect that the column is being effectively dropped)

Cheers,
piers7

Postby Tom Harris » Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:14 pm

I'm afraid that this level of control is not available via the API. We may add it in the future if there is sufficient demand.

Apologies, Tom
Tom Harris

desired feature

Postby cleek » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:28 pm

Having the ability to control the schema comparison script at a column level is something that we would really like to have. Please consider this a feature request.
cleek

do not actually need column level control

Postby cleek » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:23 pm

What I really need is the ability to ensure that no column in the target database is dropped.
cleek

Postby Brian Donahue » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:40 pm

I have written some sample code for the SDK wiki that will comment out all column drops from the SQL Compare SQL scripts. I hope you all find this useful!!

http://78.31.104.66/index.php/Filter_migration_script
Brian Donahue

Return to SQL Toolkit Previous Versions