Selecting Logs

Undo for SQL Server.

Moderator: eddie davis

Selecting Logs

Postby harryb » Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:40 am

I have just selcted the first 4 logs, out of many days worth.

It has kindly given me all logs.

Why?
harryb

Postby Brian Donahue » Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:38 pm

Hello Harry.

If I'm not mistaken, the question is 'why is Log Rescue showing me more transactions than exist in my transaction log backup files?'. I believe the answer to this is that Log Rescue reads the live database log (ldf file) in addition to the log backups that you have specified. Log Rescue uses a combination of the information in the log backups as well as the information in the log.

If I'm wrong, please let me know.
Brian Donahue

Re:

Postby harryb » Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:09 am

You are correct, but I want to see what happened during the logs I have chosen, not the active log.

The only solution I can see is to backup the current log, so making it smaller and try again.

Ok, I am not using the product to recover data, I am trying to find who and when certain data was updated, do I have to purchase Lumingent? I assumed this would have been possible with log rescue.

Harry

Brian Donahue wrote:Hello Harry.

If I'm not mistaken, the question is 'why is Log Rescue showing me more transactions than exist in my transaction log backup files?'. I believe the answer to this is that Log Rescue reads the live database log (ldf file) in addition to the log backups that you have specified. Log Rescue uses a combination of the information in the log backups as well as the information in the log.

If I'm wrong, please let me know.
harryb

Postby Brian Donahue » Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:45 pm

Hi Harry,

Log Rescue can be aused for auditing in a pinch -- but it's not really designed for that. It's designed to recover data lost as the result of a transaction that went wrong.

You can still filter the results in Log Rescue to show transactions only between a certain time period, but the fact remains that the software needs to analyze the log before it can do anything.
Brian Donahue

Postby myelton » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:43 pm

Hi Brian,

Is the auditing functionality something that will be made more user friendly in future releases?

Mark
myelton

Return to SQL Log Rescue